Shipfriends

US POLITICIANS OPPOSE WINTER USE OF ST LAWRENCE

proud_ionian

location.jpg

source: MGN

TWO New York state assemblymen, Darrel Aubertine and William Barclay, have come out against the winter use of the St Lawrence Seaway, just after its second earliest ever opening had been announced. The 2008 navigation season will start March 22.

US local paper, the Watertown Daily Times, reports that both men say they oppose an expansion of the shipping season because of potential environmental risks.

"The St. Lawrence River is a unique environmental area in the world and I think we have to be very careful that we protect it," said Mr. Barclay, "With anything, we've got to look at the cost and benefits of it. I'm not sure there's a lot of benefit to the area for winter shipping and I think the cost could be substantial."

Mr Aubertine said: "Plus, there's the possibility of running a ship aground in this sort of weather. I never have supported [early navigation] nor do I intend to."

Mr. Aubertine also noted that the Seaway's ice breaker or the first ships through can create strong, ice-filled wakes that can slam into shorelines, "which does damage to docks, sea walls, fish nesting beds. I understand the impacts of winter navigation and I have a lot of issues with it."