Shipfriends

Queries in English for our non-Greek speaking members.

ShipofTurkey

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Tom, although Greece is the Land of Resurrection for older ferries, I personally cannot see how and why a ferry that was deemed too expensive to run in markets with low fuel prices, can be considered profitable in the summer of 2022. Unless of course we're talking about a static role as accomodation, which is a different proposition altogether.

• 1 month later...

The ship and her owners have been deemed unfit for the service, following an emergency process from the Ministry. Through a similar emergency process, the service has been awarded again to the Prevelis. On the day of her first sailing, the PSC inspected the ship and found more than a couple of dozen of detainable deficiencies. This triggered the whole sequence of events. 

Really, no question here. Just an observation that Sifnos Jet seems to be always taking an unconventional route around Paros towards Naxos. It sails between Paros and the small islets north of Paros. Maybe saves a couple of minutes?

One question: When was the new port Athinios of Santorini completed? Couldn't find that info on the net in English.

Chaps, we have a special topic for the A-B-C classes here. I think a translator might solve many of your questions. In short, the biggest difference is on a life saving appliances level as well as GMDSS provisions.

@Esperos Papadaskalopoulos: the port of Athinios, Santorini, in its current shape was completed in early 2021

Rumors are that ANEK Lines will be put up for sale by Piraeus Bank in the (very) near future. Any idea if Attica Group will add ANEK Lines as a whole into their shipping group of companies?

Also, what would that mean for the Prevelis? Would they be able to get the new contract for the Karpathos route? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great review Nikos.

The Rhapsody is a real delight, although I imagine she was less so for the accountants at SNCM who simply couldn't operate her profitably.

I imagine when she sank herself in Marseille harbour and they got an insurance payout they couldn't  believe their luck. In fact I can visualise them sneaking down to the quayside and setting her loose in that gale themselves.

GNV probably have a better balance of tourists vs freight on the peak season passenger-oriented service they use her for - and of course they picked her up for virtually scrap value.

Cheers mate! The Rhapsody is not something spectacular or ultra-luxurious in terms of her fittings. But she's got every amenity you can imagine as a passenger and plenty of things to do and visit if you're a fan of ferry travel, like ourselves. Onboard prices were reasonable, staff were quite helpful and friendly, what more can you ask for?

Just finished reading your Daleela trip report as well, made for super nice reading. I'm kicking myself for finally not making the time to do this crossing too. A former Japanese ferry like that would have been a treat. But something tells me it's there to stay for next year as well, when I was in Limassol earlier this year, I was hearing pretty good comments abou the fact you're now able to visit Greece using your own private car.

Absolutely agree about all the impressions over the Rhapsody, she's probably the best ferry sailing in the Mediterranean. I've to say, having sailed or visited also all the former Baltic ferries of Corsica Ferries, they're pretty far from the former Napoleon Bonaparte. And I've to say that, while many former original GNV ferries were "grimaldized" in some way (false leather, linoleum carpeting), the Rhapsody seems to maintain well her French charme.

About the comparison between the SNCM paid by French taxpayers and Tirrenia paid by Italian taxpayers, I think I could say a poem, but I think it's better if I avoid to do it... but, to understand well how things were going in Italian State-owned companies, we could simply say that the last purpose-built ferry for Adriatica (paid by Italian taxpayers) was the Laurana, which had to compete on Brindisi - Corfu - Igoumenitsa - Patras line, was delivered in 1992. Only about six months later, in 1993, Grandi Navi Veloci of Aldo Grimaldi took delivery of the Majestic. Less than three years later, Superfast Ferries introduced their first pair of vessels. 

Would like to see this kind of competition also in Adriatic Sea, but the last facts and happenings are not so encouraging in this way...

Edited by mlulurgas

Well, in our part of the woods(the Mediterranean that is), there's no innocent party when it comes to spending public money, sadly. Can only imagine what us Greeks would have built :D.

You give me the opportunity to ask you one thing though, irrelevant to the discussion above. I have noticed all these years, unless i'm making a mistake, that the Tirrenia duo of the Napoli - Palermo route(Florio and Rubattino) are always in that route. They don't do any winter substitutions in other routes, nothing. They do only Napoli - Palermo. Is there a particular reason for that? Or just coincidence?

As long as I know, the Florio-class twins are “tailor-made” for Napoli - Palermo line (three cargo decks for trailers, reasonable-passenger capacity) so that they would be unsuitable on every other Tirrenia route (too large garage for Sardinia, and little passenger capacity). In fact, Tirrenia usually ordered “tailor-made” vessels, as they did with Sharden and Nuraghes (bigger garage to operate only two ships between Civitavecchia and Olbia instead of two plus two cargo) or the Bithia class (large car capacity for North Sardinia summer services).

in my opinion, anyway, the Florio twins are by far the best Tirrenia ships, because of their internal arrangement and their furnishings, which are almost the same of original GNV vessels.