Shipfriends

Queries in English for our non-Greek speaking members.

ShipofTurkey

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Nicksy58 said:

Dominik,

See the interior of a LUX cabin on Blue Star 2 on this clip:

Hi Nicksy58,

thank you for the video link which I've seen already but this LUX cabin has no double bed - I will give it a try and report here if it will have a window or not :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have a question regarding photography on ferries. On most ferries that I have sailed on in Greece nobody has been bothered when I walk around taking photos of the interior. But once in a while I encounter crew who come running up shouting "no photo, no photo". Do the ferry companies have some sort of official policy forbidding taking photos on the ships? How do you deal with such crew when you get in the same situation?

Hello JonB. I think the legal status when you take photographs of the interior of a ship, is different than when taking photographs of a ship in a port or at sea. It's the same as taking photographs of the interior of a house where you're invited for example. As such, I believe the letter of the law is that you need some sort of permission from the owner of the ship in order to take the photos. And that is regardless of the fact that the owners publish photos of the interior of their ships in their websites or their brochures.

As you correctly pointed out, most of the times the crew won't mind. Sometimes they will and prevent you from taking photos. This can be done either because they are over-zealous or just suspicious, or because indeed there's a policy by part of the owner not to allow interior photographs. Either way I don't think there's room for you to wiggle, it's their prerogative not to allow you. And rightly so, if you ask me.

My advice to you would be not to start argueing with the crew, it will get you nowhere plus they're legally in the right. Acknowledge their point and move on. My tactic is to pick the moment when I take such photographs and be very discreet about it.

12 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

My advice to you would be not to start argueing with the crew, it will get you nowhere plus they're legally in the right. Acknowledge their point and move on. My tactic is to pick the moment when I take such photographs and be very discreet about it.

Hi Nick. Thanks for answering my question. I realised long ago that arguing with such zealots is futile - anywhere in the world -  so I usually follow your tactic. I have been on 30+ ferry voyages in the Aegean and it has only happened a handful of times.  I don't mind if the stewards come up to me and politely explain that I should not  take photos. Fair enough, I put away the camera and take more photos later when no one is looking. But what annoys me is when they come flying across the room shouting over and over "no photo, no photo" and then afterwards lecturing me loudly in front of all the other passengers like I am a badly behaved 12 year old boy. Then I have to stop them and ask curtly ask if their employer knows that this is the way they speak to paying customers. Then they usually go away muttering things they hope I don't understand. What I have noticed is that if I use my small "instamatic" camera nobody cares, but as soon as I take out my big SLR camera the eyebrows are raised.

17 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Some thoughts on this incident but also some images of the vehicle decks to help visualise the ship more.

http://hhvferry.com/blog/?p=7413

The Egnazia and Olympia were converted differently to the Finntrader and Finnpartner and so did not have the cabins at Deck 3a.

Great piece, as ever, Matt. And I'm exactly on the same page with you. The multitude of incidents of a similar nature over the last 12 years alone, makes it criminal for the authorities not to commence a serious examination and review of these incidents as a whole. Grimaldi has had numerous safety-related incidents, also in their car carrier fleet. But so have ANEK and Superfast so it would be unfair to say they are any better or worse than them, as you rightly pointed out. And yes, Grimaldi's response pointing to the drivers is premature to say the least from the moment the cause of the incident is unclear. And even if the cause was a negligent driver, the mere fact he was in his truck's cabin is a massive failure of the ship's safety procedures and a breach of several SOLAS and ISM rules. So it goes back to bite them.

Last but not least, I'll throw in another coincidence for you: what do the Sorrento, Euroferry Olympia, Norman Atlantic, Med Star, El Venizelos, Olympic Champion and Giuseppe Sa(all fire-related incidents in recent years), have in common? At the time of their respective incidents, they were all classed by RINA. I'm stopping short of suggesting something here but maybe this aspect ought to be a part of the bigger picture.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:00 AM, TomJ said:

Any update on Aqua Myth? Seems to of been alongside in Duqm for a while now. Her new port of registry -Comoros Islands is quite often given to ships headed for the breakers, I hope not.

She's on her way to the scrapyard it seems. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:213387/mmsi:620871000/imo:7330040/vessel:AQUA_MYTH

• 3 weeks later...

Good question, I think it's anybody's guess at the moment. If ANEK were in normal operational mode and not in a constant state of flux between bankruptcy and being sold to Attica, the Prevelis could fill in a number of summer holes. With things as they are and with the war and bunker prices hanging above our heads, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a look at the Almudaina Dos that has been bought apparently by the new Horizon Sea Lines from Crete. It looks like she has been laid up lots of time in her 25 year history.

Dec 1999 -> April 2000 / Jan 2003 -> April 2003 / Sept 2003 -> May 2004 / August 2005 -> June 2006 / Sep 2009 -> Sep 2014 / Sep 2015 -> Jan 2018 / Sep 2019 -> Now

Hello all. My question is kind of specific considering the port of Naxos. Might any of you know when was the berth extension on the Naxos Marina completed?

As seen in this video from the year 1988 at 00:26 the quay extension is not there yet.

Also on the same video at 7:12 the promenade seems to be a lot more narrow than at the present time.

Then on this video from 1991 at 1:40 the promenade seems to already be considerably wider. Was the berth extension done at this time also? I don't see shots from the marina side of the port on this video.

Btw. you may be familiar with these videos already, but this user has some nice content from Naxos in the 70's, 80's and 90's with some classic ferries also appearing.