Shipfriends

Queries in English for our non-Greek speaking members.

ShipofTurkey

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Crete is the area where she will be based during the summer season. Presumably the part of her conversion having to do with steelwork is done so there is no need to keep her in an expensive dock in Piraeus. She can complete her conversion in Souda. And then of course towing her is most probably cheaper than signing on an entire crew in order to sail her to Crete.

18 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

Well Crete is the area where she will be based during the summer season. Presumably the part of her conversion having to do with steelwork is done so there is no need to keep her in an expensive dock in Piraeus. She can complete her conversion in Souda. And then of course towing her is most probably cheaper than signing on an entire crew in order to sail her to Crete.

What will be her route?
Probably towed because her engines or gearboxes are being serviced, towing is not a cheap option, I worked for two towing companies.

@TomJ Could very well be about her gearboxes, or a combination of the reasons we both referred to. Her route is not announced yet, presumably though sailings either from Kissamos to Balos/Gramvoussa or from Ierapetra to Chryssi Island.

@Nicksy58 No news there I'm afraid, there appears to be a major sticking point in terms of the significant wave height under which she is allowed to operate. In a country where landing craft type ships are allowed to criss-cross the Aegean carrying IMDG cargo, blocking the Saonisos is a travesty, if you ask me. 

Thanks for the update Nick.

I didn't know there was a big difference between the wave height in the NE Aegean and in the Cyclades area. The bureaucracy of the Ministery of Shipping is so unpredictable. The fact however that the Saonisos is now in Lavrio gives maybe a glimmer of hope that she will be starting on her routes in the (near) future.

I'm by no means an expert on this so I could not possibly put my hand on the Bible about who's right or wrong here. But as an observer, looking at the landing craft type ships -one of which a few months ago even sailed as far as Cyprus- makes me wonder. I hope so too she'll commence sailings and indeed her moving to Lavrion rather than a shipyard near Piraeus sounds positive.

Well not an expert on this but this is really a common sense issue. Anyway, there seems to be good news on this front earlier today, the obstacle appears to have been removed and the process of evaluating the offer for the subsidised service the Saonisos is attached to, is going ahead full steam. So chances are, won't be long before we see her sailing.

thank you @Nicksy58:)

the actual owners are Leventakis family, who operate watertankers to Aegina island, near Piraeus.

we already have a topic in Greek, for the ship.

@Nick the Greekwill keep you up to date, in his weekly review of the Greek Ferry Scene

On 4/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, Nick the Greek said:

Friday, April 23rd, 2021

- As we have carefully insinuated at the beggining of this week, there's a new addition to the Greek ferry fleet, it is the former German and Dutch, Midsland. The stress is on the word 'addition' rather than the word 'new' because she is 47 years old. Her new owner is Leve Ferries which some of you may remember did a short appearance in the Piraeus - Aegina route having chartered the Ionis for one season. Her owner is an owner of water tankers that supply Aegina with fresh water, so the ties with the island are definitely there. His name appears more often than he'd like to in the media, as a result of the shenanigans of his son(also involved in the family business) who gets to meet more often that he'd like to, with the police and the district attorney:D. Joking aside, as a ferry enthusiast I guess you ought to feel excited about a new ship coming to Greece. At the same time as a Greek citizen, I feel disgusted that we have ended up with 47-year old ships in our routes.

Just read that Illiopoulos of Sea Jets has reached a deal with Golden Star Ferries to buy Supercat, Superjet, Superrunner and Superferry II. The 3 highspeed will be going to Seajets immediately, the Superferry II in October.

Does Illiopoulos want to create a monopoly in the Cyclades?

@TomJ her owners, koukianakis family, are doing business down there.  another of their ships, stelios k, made headlines a few months ago, as members of her crew had been held hostages by pirates.

@Nicksy58 seajets with nt highspeed crafts and attica with their conventional ferries (blue star, superfast & hellenic seaways) already are in a dominant position

Edited by proud_ionian

On 4/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, hhvferry said:

Hello all

Have there been reports on what has become of the Red Star I since she was dragged away to Turkey?

I just saw that the single ship-owning entity attached to the ship has changed, she now belongs to a company registered in Odessa, Ukraine.