Shipfriends

Queries in English for our non-Greek speaking members.

ShipofTurkey

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the topic of the ship it's mentioned that there is some work being done in order to extend the length of her stern ramp. The fact they're spending money on this, suggests she's not desperately up for grabs. Listing one's ship with s&p brokers is a rather common practice and I think the approach falls under the category of "if the money's right, why not sell?".

I mean she's elderly and her time in Greece has not been without issues and various problems, as well as operational difficulties attributable to her characteristics. Therefore if the money is right and a suitable replacement can be secured, she would definitely go.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:30 PM, Nick the Greek said:

- The annual travesty with the Greek ferry companies submitting route declarations with ships that everybody knows will either never be used or are not even seaworthy, continues. Starring the Ministry of Merchant Marine and its various commitees, the Coast Guard and the absurdities of the legal framework. The highlight is the Aqua Solution in the Sporades islands, anyway don't hold your breath. There is a link for those interested but it's in Greek.

It's always puzzled me why this happens - any idea what the logic of making these bids is?

On 2/26/2021 at 9:30 PM, Nick the Greek said:

- A story which was revealed exactly 1 year ago in this forum has now come to the surface once more. It's about a potential sale of the Azores Express(former St Eloi, Channel Entente) to Seajets. Why would Seajets fancy the ship? Because she could fit the bill if they were to go for the subsidised sailings in the Azores, as they have done in the past. Talks are still going on, apparently a deal appears to be closer than ever. Great news if you're a fan of the ship, a footnote in Greek ferry history if you ask me.

- Talking about vintage tonnage, the Al Salmy 4(former Chartres, Express Santorini) that has been laid up for something like a couple of years now in Dubai, is also rumoured to have been inspected by Seajets several weeks ago, the logic behind a potential purchase being the same or similar as the Azores Express. As much as I like the ship in question and have fond memories of sailing on her, we live in 2021. And the hot girls in this day and age are Rihana and Ariana Grande, not Joan Collins :D.

Either of these would be very good news for the fan of old Sealink train ferries :D

It would be great for the Al Salmy 4 to make a return; I felt had a bit of life left in her when she left Greek waters as the Azoreans seemed happy enough with her turning up each summer. Then again I still bear a grudge that HSW sold the Masarrah 14 years ago when she still seemed to be well filled with passengers every summer morning so perhaps I'm not a good judge of when a ship's time has come. 

Any more news on what is happening with ANEK?

On your first question, it's embarassing for me to even attempt to explain. And it comes down to the rotten Greek mentality, especially in whatever has to do with the State. My take on this is, imagine there was a legal framework which was crystal clear and left no space for ambiguity or gave no right to the Minister to intervene at will. If you're the State and its servants, this is bad news because it leaves you without any bargaining chip. How would you be able to do favours to those who support you politically? How would you be able to extract favours and benefits yourself from those who have business interests in this? I think you've found yourself long enough in Greece to catch my drift.

I'm fully with you on the timing around selling some of the old Sealink ferries. Looking at which ferries where enlisted for the subsidised services in the Aegean after those sales(Nona Mary, Saos II, Panagia Tinou, Panagia Hozoviotissa, Aqua Spirit, Aeolos Express, Artemis to name but a few), it's clear to me that these ships could have provided a much better level of service in such roles. At the same time though, to see back one of them in her 5th decade of life, after a long lay up and following years of service in areas where maintenance and safety standards are lower than low, is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Arguably, if the right amount of money is put on the ship, she can come back white as a dove. But at this day and age and with the statutory requirements taking the course they're taking, does it make any sense to spend such money? I very much doubt so.

The ANEK front has been rather quiet in terms of developments. Now that you mention it, they only mention of their name I have seen lately was in an interview by Grimaldi a few weeks ago where he clearly said that they "are in talks about ANEK". I presume with the banks and about the possibility of Grimaldi buying either the company as a whole, or some of the silverware such as the 2 Adriatic ships. The gist of it is that both ANEK and Attica are at his mercy, he can sweep them clean off the table if he pursues it. And this is a major failure of the management of thos companies over the last 20 years.

Hello I am looking for some pictures and info of the small local ferry Panormitis, ex Stella, ex Rhodos.

The ferry sank in 1966 outside Kalymnos.

It was a former local ferry here in Oslo, Norway so it is of local history this request. We only have a former

postcard to identify the ship.

I am very thankful for all help.

Yours Knut Lorentzen

Panormitis.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No, not really. Nothing official yet but as some of the members are reporting there appears to be a major disagreement in terms of which is the maximum level of significant wave height under which she can safely operate. And the issue right now seems to be seriously stuck. Other than that I have the impression that the ship would be ready to sail.

Is there any particular reason why the Nissos Rodos is covering the ANEK schedule to Heraklion rather than one of ANEK's own ships? Do they really not have anything else which is in a fit state for service at the moment or does the Attica/ANEK difference already not matter any more?

On 3/23/2021 at 12:51 AM, hhvferry said:

Is there any particular reason why the Nissos Rodos is covering the ANEK schedule to Heraklion rather than one of ANEK's own ships? Do they really not have anything else which is in a fit state for service at the moment or does the Attica/ANEK difference already not matter any more?

Sorry, we missed this one. The main characteristic of the Piraeus - Heraklion route as far as ANEK is concerned is that the passenger element is a lot less than Minoan while the lorry element is quite large. Therefore the main criterion for choosing a ship for this route, is the garage capacity. With the Kriti II laid up since October(earlier in the year there were rumours she would be scrapped) and the Blue Horizon occupied in the Chania route, the next best solution is the Nissos Rodos with her large lorry capacity.

I suppose I wondered if this involved ANEK having to charter an Attica ship which would seem a waste of money but perhaps they assess it over the course of a year and see what the overall balance of sailings is.

Anyway, glad to see the Kriti I is back now. I'm really rather fond of those two and would be sad to see the Kriti II go for scrap. She was the last Greek ferry I sailed on, last September, (in fact she was the last ship of any kind I sailed on, as of now!) and didn't seem in particularly bad condition given she was withdrawn from service just a couple of weeks later.

Edited by proud_ionian

• 2 weeks later...